Monday, February 23, 2009

Montessori Schools

After watching the videos last week, and learning more about the Montessori system, I realized that I think that it is a great system. I am a firm believer that children learn at different paces, and that they can only truly learn and understand a concept if it is something that interests, or is made to interest them. I liked how the Montessori system allows students to pick an activity that interests them, and then the teacher turns the "fun" activity into a learning opportunity.

In the text it talks about how the Montessori classroom has activities for "practical life experiences". The text also states, "As children develop the ability to take care of their own needs, they learn best from firsthand experience". I believe that at the Early Childhood grade level that this is extrememly important. In the four year old classroom that I observed, I loved watching the students in the housekeeping center. One parent came in and seemed upset/worried that her child played in the housekeeping center all the time, and wished that she would do something more constructive like work on her writing. I wished that I could have explained to her that one of the benefits of being part of a classroom where students can choose what they would like to do, is that they learn best because it is what they are interested in. Her child may have appeared to just be playing with dolls and playing dress up, but she was also practicing different roles, and socializing with her peers.

I believe that Montessori schools take into consideration, that as long as an activity is structured, planned appropriately, any activity can become a learning experience.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda,

    I completely agree with you about Montessori schools. I think they are a version of a "well rounded education". I don't think that main academic subjects should be forgotten, however. That parent should not have been worried about their child, you are right! Any experience is a learning experience for a young child -- I agree! I like that you said "practicing different roles". I think that is a good way of putting it. She was simply interacting with things and people that interested her -- she is no doubt learning from this! I love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete